воскресенье, 7 июня 2009 г.

A train encounter

A little boy - two years old, maybe three - was travelling on a Tokyo train with his father - a tall, bearded man, who was reading a book in Arabic and paid little attention to his son. The man had silver streaks in his beard - if it was not for the way the boy called him - baba, which, as far as I know, means "father" in Arabic-speaking lands - I would easily have taken him for the little boy's grandfather.

The boy was cute, his smile was sweet and his soft brownish hair fluttered under the breath of train ventilation. He prattled unintelligible words to himself, sang childish songs. At times he fell silent and studied with his innocent round eyes the surrounding bustle, the sleepless metropolis and its inhabitants on various errands on a warm Saturday evening. I couldn't get my eyes off of him. Inside, I wished him a long and beautiful life - he felt my gaze and stared back with curious eyes, not knowing that the words I hastily jotted down in my notebook were about him. His father kept on reading his book with enthusiasm.

I thought about the boy for a moment, about the way he made me reach for my bag for a pen and paper. The way he inspired me. I imagined a world depraved of this kind of inspiration - the world of a desk and a chair in a quiet, gloomy room. Of pale paper and a lonely pen that runs back and forth on it, without touching the real world, detached from the things outside of it. This made me think about the importance of seeing other people. I thought about Auster, his long walks on New York streets, his fondness for observing people.

At one station the boy got off his seat and straddled hesitatingly towards a rail handle in the centre of the car. The train was motionless and the boy almost made it, his eyes glowing with adventurous joy. I watched him with a smile, encouraging him to take the challenge with my sympathetic eyes. But right at the moment he extended his white plumpy hand towards the rail the train launched abruptly towards the next station. The boy's face changed immediately: the expression of alert took the place of adventure and he quickly climbed back into the safety of his train seat. The father had at last noticed he was not travelling alone; he picked the boy up into his lap. For the rest of the journey the boy cuddled there, his eyes moving thoughtfully from one commuter to another. He saw me off with his eyes, when I got up and off the train on Tokyo station.

14 комментариев:

  1. The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. This website is a walk-through for all the facts you wanted about this and didn't know who to ask. Seem here, and you will actually find it.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. life is not measured by the breathes we take, but the moments in life that take our breathe away

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Hey I was just looking at your site in IE 8 and the picture at the top of the site doesnt show up right. Just thought I would let you know.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  5. Was amused from the floor up. Will sticker around a bit more for a good read.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  6. Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I'm happy to find numerous useful info here in the post, we need develop more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing

    ОтветитьУдалить
  7. Hello, i came to this blog even though searching for some thing else, but to my joy i discovered this web site. Keep doing what you're performing, its excellent.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  8. In That Respect there r surely a lot of details like that to take into consideration

    ОтветитьУдалить
  9. This web site is simply great as well as i definitely like it!!! Congratulations! Check my Dominos pizza menu page!

    ОтветитьУдалить
  10. I'd always want to be update on new content on this site, saved to my bookmarks ! .

    ОтветитьУдалить
  11. I really like this article, the content written in this article is very useful. I appreciate the write and his efforts to provide information about topic. It is a well-written article and is quite comprehensive and precise. The writer has command over the theme and it is a well-researched article. You will enjoy the content and can get information in easy and understandable way

    ОтветитьУдалить
  12. hopefully this comment doesn't appear multiple times (it appears to freeze once i try to post my comment.. not certain if it's actually posting), but all I truly wanted to say was great post and thanks for sharing.

    ОтветитьУдалить