понедельник, 18 ноября 2013 г.

Missing food

When I was in Cambridge, I used to miss Japanese food. Naturally, I missed sushi. I missed the cheap kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi at 105 yen per plate. I missed eating 18 plates of it in one sitting, washed down with ice glass or two of Japanese beer. I missed the softness, texture and taste of the noble fish - tuna, or salmon - in the nigiri sushi, but I also missed the taste of not so traditional combinations: onion salmon, salmon with burned cheese on top, the ubiquitous Californian rolls.

I missed karaage chicken (aka Japanese Fried Chicken, or JFC) so much that I learned to cook it after despairing to find it in England. I cooked it so many times that in the end my karaage tasted just like the original.

I missed the furai (from the English 'fry') foods - the ebi furai being the most desired of the whole family. The chicken katsu (you guessed it right - 'cuts') with mayonnaise on it I missed too - in fact, it was the only dish in the world with which I could tolerate mayonnaise.

I missed the salty liquid and the tasty noodles of ramen. I missed the little strips of nori seaweed on top and the tiny boiled quail eggs that rested on the noodle. I missed the soba and udon noodles served in huge earthenware bowls, their endless varieties, of course, but most often the inaka soba and the kitsune soba. And, speaking of earthenware, it was impossible not to miss the nabe stew (but is it stew?). I missed the white fish and cabbage and little shiitake mushrooms that you can fish out of the huge earthenware pot that cooks on the portable stove on your table while you wait.

***

Now, in Tokyo, I miss the sandwiches. I used to eat them because they were a cheap and quick option to college food, but in the end they became a habit. I realise this now as I miss them - I would probably say no if asked, in Cambridge, whether I loved sandwiches. I miss especially the M&S ones - the Coronation Chicken, the BLT, the prawn mayonnaise (I lied - here's another food in which I am happy to tolerate mayonnaise), the chicken salad. Sometimes I crave the Sainsbury's ham hock and extra mature cheddar sandwich. And it was hard to beat the Boots (yes, the chemists who make sandwiches too) bumper sandwiches when you were really hungry.

I also miss the cheese. With all due respect, Japan, you can't handle cheese. Especially the English cheeses - I know I can get mozzarella here, as you're crazy about all things Italian. And maybe some Edam or Gouda if I try really hard. But not cheddar, or red Leicester. I might be wrong, though - I barely know Tokyo after only two and a half months here - so prove me wrong, Japan, do prove me wrong.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий